Old Guesthouse Zum Weissen Ross in Bommersheim, Oberursel

While doing some research on the Gasthaus  ‘Zum Weißen Roß‘ in Oberursel Vorstadt, I also came across this guesthouse with exactly the same name (To the White Horse) in another part of Oberursel, namely Bommersheim.

The guesthouse  ‘Zum Weißen Roß’ in Bommersheim was run by:
* Georg Meister 1925 – listed in the Reichsadreßbuch. d. Wirtschaft (imperial address book of guest houses)
* Hermann Baumann 1937
It has  been added to the list of Cultural Monuments in Bommersheim – you can view the list on Wikipedia.
It closed a long time ago, and is now a residential building.

This postcard belongs to the private collection of  the historian, Bernd Ochs.

Old Bakery at the Market Square in Oberursel

This former bakery (grey half-timbered house) at the market square in Oberursel first opened its doors for business on 14 Oct 1888. The first owner was Ferdinand Will.

Announcement in the paper ‘Bürgerfreund’

 

 

From the archives:

Marktplatz 13 Bäckerei Ferdinand Will 1904

Marktplatz 13 Bäckerei Müller H. 1936

Marktplatz 13 Bäckerei Horn Georg, 01.03.1939 – 31.10.1949

Marktplatz 13 Bäckerei Stenzel Kurt 1953

Credits go to H. Decher for her research and sharing the photos.

Restaurant at the Old Market Square in Oberursel

This historical postcard dates back to 1898, when the corner building at the Marktplatz (market square) used to be ‘Droeser’s Felsenkeller’, a restaurant with garden service.

On 12 October 1895, Mr. Adam J. H. Droeser opened the Felsenkeller (rock wall cellar) Restaurant.

The address was am Marktplatz 1, which houses the Vordertaunusmuseum (Anterior Taunus Museum) today.

Below is a photo of the same location, taken on 30 January 2019.

Oberursel and its first Outdoor Swimming Pool

The very first swimming pool was built by the Motorenfabrik Oberursel (Motor Pool) in 1927.

Werksschwimmbad Motorenwerke Oberursel

(Bildquelle: mit freundlicher Erlaubnis vom Geschichtskreis Motorenfabrik Oberursel)

The engineer Helmut Stein, who had joined the Motorenfabrik in 1925, initiated the construction of this Werksschwimmbad (factory-run pool for its staff and families). Other facilities, such as sport fields and a shooting range, were added later.

The company supplied the material, and construction was completed by its own workers after working hours.

During the summer months, swimming lessons were given to the young vocational trainees. It soon became a social meeting point for its workers and families.

The city of Oberursel itself had to wait another decade for its own public pool (see postcard). Construction went from 1934 – 1936, and its Grand Opening took place on 7 June 1937.

Städtische Schwimmbadeanlagen Oberursel, 1937

Source: „125 Jahre Motorenfabrik Oberursel, 1892 – 2017, Wandel gehört zum Leben“ by Helmut Hujer

Old Oberursel Postcards: A3 Tram to Oberursel

In 1973, the tram line 23 became A3 when the line at the southern end of the tunnel going into Frankfurt was extended from the Hauptwache to Theaterplatz.

A3 Oberursel-Hohemark – Heddernheim – Hauptwache – Hauptbahnhof

In 1978, a new timetable was set up on 27 May. At the same time, the tram line A3 was put out of service, and instead, the new U3 connected Hohemark with the Theaterplatz in Frankfurt.

U3 Hohemark – Heddernheim – Theaterplatz.

A3 Hohemark

This postcard shows the area closest to the station Portstraße (coming from Lahnstraße). The same old high-rise buildings on the right are still there today. And just as unpleasant to look at.

The U-Bahn station Portstraße was renamed into Altstadt just in time for the Hessentag 2011 in Oberursel.

To have the U3 public transportation serve the Oberursel community, the city has to pay a yearly due of euro 1.3 million to the Rhein-Main-Verkehrsverbund (RMV).

Diese Webseite verwendet Cookies. Wenn Sie auf der Seite weitersurfen, stimmen Sie der Cookie-Nutzung zu. Mehr Informationen

Diese Webseite verwendet so genannte Cookies. Sie dienen dazu, unser Angebot nutzerfreundlicher, effektiver und sicherer zu machen. Cookies sind kleine Textdateien, die auf Ihrem Rechner abgelegt werden und die Ihr Browser speichert. Die meisten der von uns verwendeten Cookies sind so genannte "Session-Cookies". Sie werden nach Ende Ihres Besuchs automatisch gelöscht. Cookies richten auf Ihrem Rechner keinen Schaden an und enthalten keine Viren. Weitere Informationen finden Sie auf der Seite “Datenschutzerklärung”.

Close